Worldwide count of priority filings

Here you can post your opinions, ask questions and share experiences on the PATSTAT product line. Please always indicate the PATSTAT edition (e.g. 2015 Autumn Edition) and the database (e.g. PATSTAT Online, MySQL, MS SQL Server, ...) you are using.

gderasse

Worldwide count of priority filings

Post by gderasse » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:15 pm

Dear all,

As promised during the Patstat user meeting at the OECD in Paris, I am happy to share the MySQL code used in "The worldwide count of priority patents: A new indicator of inventive activity" forthcoming in Research Policy.

In short, the script selects priority patent applications filed worldwide and allocate them according to the inventor (or applicant) country of residence. The script also contains a routine to replenish missing country information for inventors (or applicants).

Both the paper and the MySQL source code are available at the following URL: URL-link

Hope it helps. I am happy to answer any questions you may have.

Gaétan de Rassenfosse

usernamepatstat

Re: Worldwide count of priority filings

Post by usernamepatstat » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:46 pm

I NEED A PATENT STATISTIC IN SQL : IF A PATENT WAS APPLIED FOR IN ANOTHER COUNTRY AND 11 OR 12 MONTHS AFTER THE PRIORITY DATE THE PATENT WAS FILED WITH THE EPO, HOW LONG ON THE AVERAGE DOES IT TAKE TO RECEIVE A SEARCH REPORT (A1 AND/OR A3)? I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE THE SHORTEST TIME, LONGEST TIME, AND AVERAGE TIME FOR SAMPLE OF ABOUT 1000 RECENT PATENT APPLICATIONS. (ITS SUPPOSE TO TAKE 6 MONTHS BUT I IMAGINE IF YOU FILE SO LATE IN THE 12 MONTHS YOUR ALLOWED, IT WILLTAKE MUCH LONGER)CAN YOU HELP? JOHN

nico.rasters

Re: Worldwide count of priority filings

Post by nico.rasters » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:26 pm

Thank you very much for making this practical example available to the community.
Using priority counts has always been my preferred method to count patents, but as the OECD Patent Statistics Manual focuses on using PCT counts or families I was never sure whether it was an acceptable solution. So I'm happy to see other people use it as well.
Btw, I also have come up with an algorithm to replenish missing data. I'll compare it with yours and post my findings here.

Daigu Academic Services & Data Stewardship
http://www.daigu.nl/