Y02 Allocation

Here you can find announcements regarding the EPO's patent information products and services, events and activities.

Please also feel free to ask questions and share information on general patent information matters.

joeemmens

Y02 Allocation

Post by joeemmens » Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:04 pm

Hey All,

I am studying the use of YO2 technology classification by the CPC at the USPTO and EPO and am interested in understanding how they allocate a patent as belonging to one of the YO2 classes. The EPO site gives the following information

"The inventories of the Y tags are updated by running search algorithms designed by expert examiners and relying on other CPC symbols, IPC symbols and keywords."

I was just wondering if anyone in this online community had access to more specific information on how this is done? Especially the idea of using keywords.

Thank you!

Joe

EPO / Innovation Networks

Re: Y02 Allocation

Post by EPO / Innovation Networks » Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:50 am

Dear Joe,
Thank you for inquiring about the Y02 classification.
Since August this year, Y02 groups are being populated thanks to an artificial intelligence model developed at the EPO. This model uses natural language processing to predict the Y02 allocations. Data is updated twice a week. We are currently checking the quality of the CPC allocations and will feed input back into the model to improve it further over time.
Kind regards,

The Innovation Networks Team

Kimbermoore2

Re: Y02 Allocation

Post by Kimbermoore2 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:29 am

joeemmens wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:04 pm
Hey All,

I am studying the use of YO2 technology classification by the CPC at the USPTO and EPO and am interested in understanding how they allocate a patent as belonging to one of the YO2 classes. The EPO site gives the following information

"The inventories of the Y tags are updated by running search algorithms designed by expert examiners and relying on other CPC symbols, IPC symbols and keywords."

I was just wondering if anyone in this online community had access to more specific information on how this is done? Especially the idea of using keywords.
myPennMedicine
Thank you!

Joe
Hi,
I just want to say that there are the classification of a patent as belonging to one of the Y02 classes by the CPC (Cooperative Patent Classification) system is done through the use of expert-designed search algorithms and other CPC symbols, IPC (International Patent Classification) symbols, and keywords. The exact details of the process, including the specific algorithms and keywords used, are proprietary information and may not be publicly available. However, the EPO (European Patent Office) and USPTO (United States Patent and Trademark Office) both provide training and guidance to their examiners on how to use the CPC system for classification purposes.
Regards,
Kimbermoore2